As part of the Undergraduate Research Conference, a poster session highlighting undergraduate student research and creative activity will be held on Thursday, April 11, 2013, at the Nebraska Union. The purpose of the poster session is to give undergraduate students the chance to showcase their research or creative activity, to communicate their results to others, and to learn about other areas of research and creative activity. Students do not have to be in UCARE to present; all undergraduates are welcome.
Deadline for registration: 5:00 PM Friday, March 29, 2013.
Students registered before that deadline will be included in the booklet.
Undergraduate Poster Session Schedule
10:00 AM – 2:00 PM: Set up.
3:00 PM – 5:00 PM: Open exhibits. Plan to be with your poster during this time or for at least 1 hour of it.
Preparing for the Event
Posters may be submitted in any area of study. Communications regarding the conference will take place via the email address you provide when you register. You must be prepared to check your “junk” or “bulk” mail boxes as the emails will go to a large number of people. Questions regarding your specific poster should be addressed to your faculty sponsor. Direct any other questions to the UCARE Office at firstname.lastname@example.org.
General Poster Guidelines & Tips
- Check out the PowerPoint Poster Template for guidelines and tips on how to construct your poster.
- A poster is a visual representation of the work that you have accomplished; it should “tell the story” of the work you have done.
- A Microsoft PowerPoint slide is an easy way to design your poster. The first step is to set up your paper size under Design > Page Setup. Maximum poster size is 30 inches by 40 inches. Posters should not be mounted on poster board or foam core.
- Once you have registered, UCARE will contact you about how to display your poster.
- We highly recommend printing your poster at the Instructional Design Center. It is located on campus in Henzlik Hall.
- Printing costs will be much cheaper at the IDC compared to taking it to Kinko’s or another printing service.
- UCARE students who wish to use their UCARE funds to cover the cost of printing their poster at the IDC must first fill out a Pre-Purchase Approval Form and submit it to the UCARE Office.
- Do not fill your poster with text; a general guideline is to designate 20% for text, 40% for graphics, and 20% for empty space. The most effective posters have minimal text.
- It is always a good idea to have someone proofread your poster before you send it for final printing.
Day of the Conference
- You are expected to be at your assigned space during the designated time to discuss the work presented. (If you cannot remain the entire time, we will take your poster down and you may pick it up in the UCARE Office in Seaton Hall. You are responsible for making arrangements should they be necessary.)
- Greet people who walk by and ask them if they have questions.
- Prepare a brief statement about your research. People will often come to you and say, “Tell me about your research in 1 minute.”
- You can also have a handout of supplemental materials or a reduced version of your poster on 8.5″ x 11″ paper.
- Please wear business casual. A nice pair of slacks or khakis and a button down shirt or blouse is appropriate. Plan to dress a step up from jeans, a t-shirt, and sneakers.